Are you a real estate investor concerned with the potential of a shifting economy? These concerns are understandable, and today’s guest has some great techniques for both protecting your money and taking advantage of deals in any market!
J Scott, author of The Book on Flipping Houses and How to Estimate Rehab Costs shares his valuable insight when it comes to predicting market changes, adapting to shifting markets, and changing your strategy to adapt to a changing economy! Don’t miss Jay’s 6 rules for flipping houses, what exact economic indicators he looks for to predict an upcoming recession, and his 6 rules for preparing for an economic recession.
J is one of the most respected minds in the real estate game, and today’s show is jam packed with the wisdom, advice, and knowledge you need to position yourself where you want to be in a shifted market to make big gains in your portfolio!
Want to learn more about flipping houses? Order completely updated and revised versions of J Scott’s The Book on Flipping Houses and How to Estimate Rehab Costs here!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Almost none of us have the time to read everything we’d like to read. Yet we lose countless hours to activities that bring us little joy such as commuting, chores and staring at our phones. What if we could turn these little blocks of unallocated time into precious and rewarding moments for learning and reflection? Founded in 2012 by four friends, Blinkist now connects 6-million readers worldwide to the biggest ideas from bestselling nonfiction via 15-minute audio and text.
Blinkist has a special offer for YOU. It’s a FREE 7 day trial — just go to Blinkist.com/pockets
Deep Dive Sponsor
If you’ve been thinking about getting a SimpliSafe – Home Security System, but have been
waiting for the holidays when all the tech deals come out—you’ve made a smart move! If you go to SimpliSafe.com/biggerpockets you’ll get 25% off any new system. That’s an amazing deal.
They rarely do anything like this but they’re doing it just for us!
In This Episode We Cover:
- J. Scott’s story on how he got into flipping houses
- How his business evolved over the past 10 years
- Market cycles and market indicators to look for
- Why unemployment is an indicator
- The “yield curve”
- The Buffet indicator
- His 6 rules for investing in this market:
- Be certain of your numbers
- Stay away from long rehabs
- Have a backup strategy
- Avoid thin deals
- Keep clear of leverage at all cost
- Stay away from the high end vacation rentals
- 6 ways to prepare for any market:
- Hoard cash
- Open as many credit lines as possible
- Build credit
- Figure the “worst case drop”
- Restructure short-term debt
- Don’t chase your losses
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
Books Mentioned in this Show
Fire Round Questions
- “Markets move in cycles.” (Tweet this!)
- “Any time you have more money than you have deals, that’s an indication that the market is super hot.” (Tweet this!)
- “When businesses pay people more money, we have inflation.” (Tweet this!)
- “Don’t borrow the money just because you can. Only borrow as much as you need to borrow.” (Tweet this!)
- “The next best thing to cash is a credit line.” (Tweet this!)
- “Having longer-term debt will help you weather any big storm.” (Tweet this!)